WILMAPCO Freight/Goods Movement
Delmarva Freight & Goods Movement Task Force meetings December 4th and 10th, 2013
Please mark your calendars! In December, we will be holding meetings for the Delmarva Freight & Goods Movement Task Force. As a follow up to the successful Delmarva Freight Summit back in June, we are looking to expand our freight-related initiatives along the Peninsula by holding regular meetings to increase information sharing and updates on projects/studies within the region. It is open to all trucking, railroad, port, airport, shipper, freight logistics, economic development, and member government representatives.
We will be holding TWO meetings in December to accommodate for those traveling longer distances, but the meetings will be covering mostly the same material. The links to register for one (or both) are below. The agenda will include, but not limited to:
- Update on the Delmarva Freight Study
- Findings from the Delmarva Chemical Supply Chain Analysis
- Freight and its role in the DelDOT Statewide prioritization process
- Register: Northern Region Meeting: Wednesday Dec. 4th 9am- Noon @ The New Castle County Chamber of Commerce Building
- Register: Southern Region Meeting: Tuesday Dec. 10th 9am- Noon @ Kent County Administrative Complex
- Subcommittee Interest Survey
2013 Delmarva Freight Study
The Delmarva Freight Study is a multi-state, multi-MPO effort to develop a comprehensive, multi-modal evaluation of the freight transportation system and its operations along the Delmarva Peninsula. Using detailed commodity flow data along with a three-level modeling approach (National, Regional and Local), we can capture the overall performance of the freight system and its future constraints. In addition, we will be able to test the impacts of decisions such as infrastructure investments, changes in regulations and modal shift impacts.
- Delmarva Freight Study Project Scope Summary
- Study Area
- Presentation from 3/21/13 WILMAPCO TAC Meeting
- Minutes and Powerpoint Slides from 3/6/13 Meeting
- Powerpoint Slides from 1/16/13 Meeting
- Presentation to Chambers of Commerce
- Presentation to the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVPRC)
2013 Delmarva Freight Summit
The Delmarva Freight Summit was a half day forum held on June 26th that brings together both public and private sector freight professionals to focus on the needs and interests of freight movement across the Delmarva Peninsula. Below are the presentations and handouts that were given at the summit.
- Presentation: Jack Wells: Chief Economist, U.S. Department of Transportation
- Presentation: Delaware’s Chemical Supply Chain: Bob Brodesky & Chris Grillo I H S Global Inc.
- Handout:Delaware Emergency Management Agency (DEMA) Hazmat Study
- Presentation: Delmarva Freight Study, Whitman, Requardt and Associates
- Presentation: Maritime Bulk Petroleum Movement: Captain Mason Keeter
- Delmarva Freight Study Display Boards. These boards were displayed at the Freight Summit as part of an outreach effort for the Delmarva Freight Study. These are designed to show areas that have been identified to date which are critical to goods movement.
Display Board 1 – Freight Related Areas of Concern Display Board 2 -Freight Related Areas of Opportunity
- Freight Scenarios: A series of scenarios are being developed for analysis as part of the the Delmarva Freight Study. Below are the first two that have been developed
Display Board 3 -Multimodal Constraint Scenario Display Board 4 -Multimodal Enhancement Scenario
- Comment form: If anyone wants to provide any comments or feedback, please use the comment form and email it to Lindsay Ulizio at email@example.com
Other Regional Freight News
- Map-21 included a number of provisions to improve the condition and performance of the National Freight Network and support investment in freight-related surface transportation projects (Download Interim Guidance PDF) (Website)
- Wilmington Truck Parking Analysis is underway
- Regional Truck Volumes and percentages (Google Map)
- Regional Freight Analysis Underway
WILMAPCO Freight and Goods Movement Working Group (FWG)
In September 2007, WILMAPCO Council approved the formation of a Freight and Goods Movement Working Group. This group is comprised of area DOTs, economic development groups, private sector representatives, county officials, ports, and members of the public. It will be charged with overseeing and helping implement future actions and policy recommendations that result from the WILMAPCO Freight and Goods Movement Analysis. Also, the group will aid in providing direction for the best methods for addressing MAP-21 provisions.
- Delaware Department of Transportation
- New Castle County Department of Land Use
- Maryland Department of Transportation, State Highway Administration
- Maryland Department of the Environment
- Cecil County Planning Office
- U.S. Federal Transit Administration (FHWA)
The next WILMAPCO Freight Working Group will be announced shortly. FWG meetings are held in the WILMAPCO Conference Room, unless otherwise noted.
Reports and Downloads
2007 WILMAPCO Freight & Goods Movement Analysis (PDF)
|New Castle County Freight Bottleneck Locations||PDF Map||Google Map|
|Cecil County Freight Bottleneck Locations||PDF Map||Google Map|
Please e-mail Dan Blevins: firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional meeting materials
Meeting Agendas and Notes
Next meeting TBA
9am-9:20am Opening remarks: Mark Kleinschmidt President of the NCC Chamber of Commerce &
9:20-9:50am Jack Wells: Chief Economist, U.S. Department of Transportation
9:50-10:20am Delaware’s Chemical Supply Chain: Bob Brodesky & Chris Grillo HIS Global Inc.
10:20-10:40am Delaware Emergency Management Agency (DEMA) Hazmat Study, David
11:00-11:30am Ray Smith, Senior Vice President, Trinity Logistics
11:30-12:00pm Delmarva Freight Study, Whitman, Requardt and Associates
12:00-12:30pm Speaker TBA
12:30-12:40pm Wrap up & Path forward (Jeff Stone, DEDO)
1:30pm-3pm Delmarva Freight Task Force meeting (open to all)