~ Save the date for WILMAPCO’s 2022 Our Town Event ~
Wednesday, February 8, 2022 from 4-7pm at the Embassy Suites in Newark, Delaware
More details coming soon!
2019 Our Town featuring the Regional Transportation Plan
This Our Town event, featured WILMAPCO’s 2050 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP). The 2050 RTP is New Castle County’s and Cecil County’s blueprint for transportation decision-making for the next 30 years. Other featured plans included: DelDOT Long-Range Transportation Plan, 2040 Maryland Transportation Plan, New Castle County Bicycle Plan, Southern New Castle County Master Plan, Concord Pike Master Plan, and the City of Wilmington Comprehensive Plan.
2016 Our Town: Planning for the Future
In the future, technology will continue to improve how we get around by reducing emissions, improving safety, and making vehicles more efficient and reliable. Cars will use wireless technology to communicate with each other and warn drivers of congestion and accidents. Crash avoidance systems, using sensors embedded in the roadways, will help prevent accidents; and driverless cars are being developed by most major manufactures.
2014 Our Town: Funding our System
2014 Our Town focused on Transportation Funding and the shortfalls that exist in our region and nation. Attendees learned from national and local experts, and elected officials what could be done to adequately fund our transportation system now and in the future.
Our Town also highlighted the Update to the 2040 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP). The RTP sets the transportation goals for the region, examines forecasted trends, identifies the transportation challenges that these trends pose, and proposes transportation investments to mitigate these challenges. The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) was also highlighted during the event. The TIP is a $1.7 billion, four-year listing of priority projects for the region. The proposed TIP has a six percent decrease in funds compared to the previous TIP
- Beth Osborne, Transportation for America
- Tigist Zegeye, WILMAPCO
- Colin Peppard, Office of U.S. Senator Thomas Carper
- Mark Kleinschmidt, NCC Chamber of Commerce
- Ted Williams, Transportation Trust Fund Task Force
- Shailen Bhatt, DelDOT
- Mike Nixon, MDOT
2012 Our Town: Rail Planning
WILMAPCO’s 2012 Our Town event focused on rail and making the connections in New Castle County, Delaware and Cecil County, Maryland. The event highlighted several Transit Oriented Development (TOD) plans in both Maryland and Delaware, regional rail plans, local rail projects,Amtrak’s North East Corridor plans, and regional freight plans.
- Rebecca Reyes-Alicea, USDOT, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Railroad Policy & Development
- Drew Galloway, AVP, NEC Infrastructure Investment & Development, Amtrak
- Scott Muir, Government Relations, Atlantic States, Norfolk Southern
- Dave Gula, Principal Planner, WILMAPCO – WILMAPCO Transit Studies
2010 Our Town: Regional Planning
More than 100 residents and professionals attended WILMAPCO’s Our Town Event in November 2012. Attendees had the opportunity to view and comment on presentations for five state and regional Plans including WILMAPCO’s 2040 Regional Transportation Plan update. Following the presentations WILMAPCO’s Council members had the opportunity to describe their visions for the future and spent nearly an hour answering audience questions. The event provided a great opportunity for honest dialog between local leaders and community members, and an unprecedented opportunity to learn about and affect a variety of Plans for the region.
- Plan Maryland—the State’s first comprehensive plan for sustainable growth and development
- New Castle County Comprehensive Plan—5-year update
- Delaware State Spending Strategies–creates a unified view for growth and preservation priorities that all levels of government can use to allocate resources
- Delaware Statewide Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP)—includes a culmination of information from WILMAPCO and Dover/Kent MPO’s Long-Range Transportation Plans, the Sussex County Comprehensive Plan, and Salisbury/Wicomico’s Plan
- WILMAPCO’s 2040 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) Update—sets regional transportation priorities for New Castle and Cecil Counties