2012 Our Town
Rail in the WILMAPCO Region: Making the Connections
WILMAPCO’s 2012 Our Town event focused on rail and making the connections in New Castle County, Delaware and Cecil County, Maryland. The event highlighted several Transit Oriented Development (TOD) plans in both Maryland and Delaware, regional rail plans, local rail projects, Amtrak’s North East Corridor plans, and regional freight plans.
Click to view the 2012 Our Town program
Click the links below to view PowerPoint presentations:
- Rebecca Reyes-Alicea, USDOT, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Railroad Policy & Development
- Drew Galloway, AVP, NEC Infrastructure Investment & Development, Amtrak
- Scott Muir, Government Relations, Atlantic States, Norfolk Southern
- Dave Gula, Principal Planner, WILMAPCO – WILMAPCO Transit Studies
2010 Our Town
More than 100 residents and professionals attended WILMAPCO’s Our Town Event this November. Attendees had the opportunity to view and comment on presentations for five state and regional Plans including WILMAPCO’s 2040 Regional Transportation Plan update. Following the presentations WILMAPCO’s Council members had the opportunity to describe their visions for the future and spent nearly an hour answering audience questions. The event provided a great opportunity for honest dialog between local leaders and community members, and an unpreceidented opportunity to learn about and affect a variety of Plans for the region.
To view the PowerPoint presentations from Our Town, please click the links below:
- Plan Maryland—the State’s first comprehensive plan for sustainable growth and development
- New Castle County Comprehensive Plan—5-year update
- Delaware State Spending Strategies–creates a unified view for growth and preservation priorities that all levels of government can use to allocate resources
- Delaware Statewide Long-Range Transportation Plan (LRTP)—includes a culmination of information from WILMAPCO and Dover/Kent MPO’s Long-Range Transportation Plans, the Sussex County Comprehensive Plan, and Salisbury/Wicomico’s Plan
- WILMAPCO’s 2040 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) Update—sets regional transportation priorities for New Castle and Cecil Counties
Our Town 2008
Transportation and Energy: Setting Sustainable Priorities for the Future
WILMAPCO held its biannual Our Town community forum on Wednesday, October 22, 2008, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. This year’s event focused on the use of fossil fuels and how local, state, and federal governments are working to make our transportation system more sustainable in a world that includes increased population, air pollution, and congestion.
Speakers included Reid Ewing, a research professor at the National Center for Smart Growth, University of Maryland; Bill Osborne, Transportation Management Association (TMA) of Delaware; Beth Osborne, Senator Tom Carper’s office; Stephen Kingsberry, Delaware Transit Corporation; Mark Barteau, University of Delaware; Scott Lynch, Delaware Department of Energy; and Donald Halligan, Maryland Department of Transportation.
The event was held at the Embassy Suites Hotel Newark, Delaware. Exhibitors included the University of Delaware hydrogen fuel cell bus, Bayshore Ford’s electric vehicle, and the Department of Energy natural gas pick-up truck. Information from transportation-related agencies, including RideShare Delaware, TMA Delaware, VPSI Vanpool, and Urban Bike Project of Wilmington was also available.