Inter-Regional Planning and Studies
Significant population growth and demographic shifts, such as employment changes and an aging population, will impact the efficiency of our transportation system. In the face of this, inter-regional planning and coordination becomes a high priority. It promises the resolution of highway congestion, longer commute times, and increasing vehicle miles traveled, while allowing for seamless cross-border planning.
Accordingly, the WILMAPCO Planning at the Edge Advisory Committee (PEAC) began in 2000 as a cooperative regional transportation planning effort between Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. This group discussed region-wide issues regarding freight, commuting patterns, roadway improvements, Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) and security.
In 2004, WILMAPCO explored for the first time several facets of the transportation system within and beyond our regional boundaries. The report, available in PDF format below, was designed to be a data oriented summary of demographic changes and travel characteristics for a twenty-eight county study area. This report is updated periodically. Most recently, the 2018 Inter-Regional Report was endorsed in January 2019. This 2018 update provides current and projected travel and demographic trends from 2015 out to 2040 (and in some cases, 2045). Population, employment, travel speeds, commute times, volume to capacity, freight volumes, transit services, and transportation equity were evaluated. The report also includes an analysis of key corridors in the study area, as well as updates on inter-regional planning activities.
(Available as a .PDF file)
- 2018 Inter-Regional Report
- 2012 Inter-Regional Report
- 2008 Inter-Regional Report
- 2004 Inter-Regional Report
- I-95 Improvements: Wilmington to Maryland State Line
- Track A Feasibility Study: Expanded MARC (Maryland Area Rail Commuter) Service
- Commuter Rail Service: Middletown to Newark Study
- U.S. Route 40 Corridor Improvement Plan
- Expanded Rail Service from Newark to Wilmington
- Blue Ball Properties Improvements
- Pennsylvania Route 41 Study
- State Route 7: Pennsylvania and Delaware Widening
- Pennsylvania Route 896: Safety and Channelization Study
- U.S. Route 1 Reconstruction
- U.S. Route 322 Study
- U.S. Route 202 Study
- Maryland Transportation Authority I-95 Master Plan
- U.S. Route 13 Commercial Corridor Plan
- Delaware Route 41 Safety Improvements