Newark Bicycle Plan
- NEW Draft Plan is available for review and comment. E-mail us with your ideas and concerns or call 302.737.6205
- NEW Add your ideas to the Map
- Scope of work
- Public workshop 1: The kick-off public workshop was held on December 6, 2012, 4-7 p.m.
Newark Bicycle Committee
Events and Meetings
Volunteers are appreciated for all events and committee work. Meetings are held monthly at WILMAPCO on the 3rd Thursday, 4 p.m., click here for directions. Send us an email to be added to the committee email list.
Bicycle Safety Checkpoints: Event includes promotion of safe bicycling through bike safety check, free bike lights and other information. Spring 2013 Checkpoints will be held Wednesday, April 24 from Noon to 3 p.m. (Delaware Ave. at the Green) and Tuesday, May 7 from 9 a.m. – Noon (North College Ave. at Ray St.). Cosponsored by DelDOT, Newark Bike Project and Newark Bicycle Committee.
2013 Bike-to-Work Day Celebration in Newark: This years event was held Tuesday, May 14, followed by the UD Employee Benefits Fair. Bike-to-Work event speakers include UD President Patrick Harker and Secretary of Transportation Shailen Bhatt. Special thanks to our event partners: the University of Delaware and City of Newark; event supporters: WILMAPCO and DelDOT; and event sponsors: Wooden Wheels, The Ski Bum, Fusion Fitness, Home Grown, Bings Bakery, Delaware Running Co., Newark Natural Foods and Bike Line! Read about the 2013 event at www.udel.edu/udaily/2013/may/bike-work-051613.html
Newark Day and Community Day: In 2012, the committee hosted displays at Newark Day on June 2 and Community Day on September 16. Visitors had the opportunity to learn about the committee and safe bicycling in Newark, and submit their ideas and concerns for improvements.
- Report a problem such as a traffic signal malfunction, pothole, or debris in the bike lane: along city streets or on state roads
- Get–or fix–a bike, or help others do so. The Newark Bike Project offers “learn to do-it-yourself” repair facilities, bicycle recycling, and educational programs for the Newark, Delaware, community. www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Download a bicycle map. www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike/biking_in_delaware/maps.shtml
- Learn about bicycle commuting and tax benefits, sign up for the Emergency Ride Home program or find a Bicycle Buddy commuting partner. www.ridesharedelaware.org/bike_walk
- Try biking and transit. All DART buses have bike racks and many Park and Rides have secure bike lockers. dartfirststate.com/information/getting_there/bike
- Request a bike map, report a road problem or learn about Delaware bicycling laws. www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike
- Get out and ride. Area clubs have rides throughout the year, including ones for beginners. www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org and http://www.trailspinners.org.
- Bicycle Friendly Community Program: 2003 Application, 2010 Application, Feedback
- Delaware Avenue striping proposal
- 2011 Bike-to-Work Day Proclamation
- Newark Bicycle Plan, 2002
- Newark Interim Bicycle Plan, 1996
- Newark Bicycle Plan, 1973
- Delaware Complete Streets Policy, 2010
Local Bicycling Links
- Newark Bike Project www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Bike Delaware www.bikede.org
- White Clay Bicycle Club www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org
- Delaware Bicycle Council www.bike.deldot.gov (302) 760-BIKE
- Delaware Greenways www.delawaregreenways.org
- Delaware Trailspinners www.trailspinners.org
- WILMAPCO www.wilmapco.org
- DART First State www.dartfirststate.com
- University of Delaware Public Safety Bicycle Registration www.udel.edu/PublicSafety/polserv_propertybike.html
- Delaware Bikes blog delbikes.blogspot.com