Newark Bicycle Committee
- About the Newark Bicycle Committee
- E-mail us with your ideas and concerns or call 302.737.6205.
- Newark Bike Map
- Newark Bicycle Plan (approved 2/24/14 by Newark City Council) and Appendix with public outreach .
- Agendas and minutes
Events and Meetings
Volunteers are appreciated for all events and committee work. Meetings are held monthly at WILMAPCO on the 3rd Thursday, 4 p.m., click here for directions. Send us an email to be added to the committee email list.
WILMAPCO, Newark, DE
Saturday, October 18th, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
COST: $30.00 for White Clay Bicycle Club Members (WCBC), $50.00 for non-members
2014 Bike-to-Work Day Celebration in Newark: Monday, May 19, 7:30–9:00 a.m. at the Trabant University Center patio.
Cycling Class for Beginning Riders: Free training offered by White Clay Bicycle Club on May 28, 6 p.m., WILMAPCO, preregistration required
Bicycle Safety Checkpoints: Event promotes safe bicycling through bike safety check, free bike lights and other information. Cosponsored by DelDOT, Newark Bike Project and Newark Bicycle Committee.
- Report a problem such as a traffic signal malfunction, pothole, or debris in the bike lane: along city streets or on state roads
- Get–or fix–a bike, or help others do so. The Newark Bike Project offers “learn to do-it-yourself” repair facilities, bicycle recycling, and educational programs for the Newark, Delaware, community. www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Download a bicycle map.
- Learn about bicycle commuting and tax benefits, sign up for the Emergency Ride Home program or find a Bicycle Buddy commuting partner. www.ridesharedelaware.org/bike_walk
- Try biking and transit. All DART buses have bike racks and many Park and Rides have secure bike lockers. dartfirststate.com/information/getting_there/bike
- Request a bike map, report a road problem or learn about Delaware bicycling laws. www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike
- Get out and ride. Area clubs have rides throughout the year, including ones for beginners. www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org and http://www.trailspinners.org.
Committee Documents and Reports
- Newark Bicycle Plan, 2014
- Past plans: 2002, 1996, 1973
- Bicycle Friendly Community Program: 2003 Application, 2010 Application, 2010 Feedback
- Delaware Avenue striping proposal
- 2011 Bike-to-Work Day Proclamation
- Delaware Complete Streets Policy, 2010
Local Bicycling Links
- Newark Bike Project www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Bike Delaware www.bikede.org
- White Clay Bicycle Club www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org
- Delaware Bicycle Council www.bike.deldot.gov (302) 760-BIKE
- Delaware Greenways www.delawaregreenways.org
- Delaware Trailspinners www.trailspinners.org
- WILMAPCO www.wilmapco.org
- DART First State www.dartfirststate.com
- University of Delaware Public Safety Bicycle Registration www.udel.edu/PublicSafety/polserv_propertybike.html
- Delaware Bikes blog www.delawarebikes.org