Newark Bicycle Committee
- About the Newark Bicycle Committee
- E-mail us with your ideas and concerns or call 302.737.6205.
- Newark Bike Map
- Newark Bicycle Plan (approved 2/24/14 by Newark City Council) and Appendix with public outreach .
- Agendas and minutes
Events and Meetings
Volunteers are appreciated for all events and committee work. Meetings are held monthly at WILMAPCO on the 3rd Thursday, 4 p.m., click here for directions. Send us an email to be added to the committee email list.
Bicycle Safety Checkpoints: Event promotes safe bicycling through bike safety check, free bike lights and other information. Sponsored by DelDOT in partnership with Newark Bike Project, Newark Bicycle Committee and City of Newark. Upcoming Spring 2015 checkpoints will be:
- Tuesday, April 7 at the Green/Delaware Avenue, 4 – 7 p.m.
- Monday, April 13 on the Perkin Student Center patio, 4 – 7 p.m.
Stay tuned for more updated about 2015 National Bike Month Events in Newark!
- 2015 Bike-to-Work Day Celebration in Newark: Friday, May 15, details TBA
- Mayor’s Ride Celebration: Saturday, May 16, fun family-oriented ride with Mayor Seier, more details TBA
- Ride of Silence: Wednesday, May 20, 2015. Please arrive by 6:30 p.m., ride departs IN SILENCE at 7 p.m. from the Newark Charter School, 2001 Patriot Way, Newark, DE 19711 (off Elkton Road)
- Cycling Class for Beginning Riders: Free training offered by White Clay Bicycle Club on May 27, 6 p.m., WILMAPCO, preregistration TBA
- Report a problem such as a traffic signal malfunction, pothole, or debris in the bike lane: along city streets or on state roads
- Get–or fix–a bike, or help others do so. The Newark Bike Project offers “learn to do-it-yourself” repair facilities, bicycle recycling, and educational programs for the Newark, Delaware, community. www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Download a bicycle map.
- Learn about bicycle commuting and tax benefits, sign up for the Emergency Ride Home program or find a Bicycle Buddy commuting partner. www.ridesharedelaware.org/bike_walk
- Try biking and transit. All DART buses have bike racks and many Park and Rides have secure bike lockers. dartfirststate.com/information/getting_there/bike
- Request a bike map, report a road problem or learn about Delaware bicycling laws. www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike
- Get out and ride. Area clubs have rides throughout the year, including ones for beginners. www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org and http://www.trailspinners.org.
Committee Documents and Reports
- Newark Bicycle Plan, 2014
- Past plans: 2002, 1996, 1973
- Bicycle Friendly Community Program:
- Delaware Avenue striping proposal
- 2011 Bike-to-Work Day Proclamation
- Delaware Complete Streets Policy, 2010
Local Bicycling Links
- Newark Bike Project www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Bike Delaware www.bikede.org
- White Clay Bicycle Club www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org
- Delaware Bicycle Council www.bike.deldot.gov (302) 760-BIKE
- Delaware Greenways www.delawaregreenways.org
- Delaware Trailspinners www.trailspinners.org
- WILMAPCO www.wilmapco.org
- DART First State www.dartfirststate.com
- University of Delaware Public Safety Bicycle Registration www.udel.edu/PublicSafety/polserv_propertybike.html
- 1st State Bikes blog www.1stbikes.org
- Bicycle Safety Checkpoints: Event promotes safe bicycling through bike safety check, free bike lights and other information. Sponsored by DelDOT in partnership with Newark Bike Project, Newark Bicycle Committee and City of Newark. Fall 2014 checkpoints where held Wednesday, September 3 2014, noon to 3 p.m., Delaware Ave at The Green and Monday, September 15, 2014, 4 – 7 p.m., Delaware Ave at The Green.
- SMART CYCLING COURSE: Traffic Skills 101: Presentations & skills training, followed by a group ride, will make you a more confident cyclist. Lunch is included. Class was held Saturday, October 18, 2014, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., WILMAPCO, Newark, DE. COST: $30.00 for White Clay Bicycle Club Members (WCBC), $50.00 for non-members
- 2014 Bike-to-Work Day Celebration in Newark: Monday, May 19, 2014, 7:30–9:00 a.m. at the Trabant University Center patio.
- Cycling Class for Beginning Riders: Free training offered by White Clay Bicycle Club on May 28, 2014, 6 p.m., WILMAPCO.
- InsideLine Bike Expo, March 7, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Delaware Sportsplex, 326 Ruthar Drive