Newark Bicycle Committee
- About the Newark Bicycle Committee
- E-mail us with your ideas and concerns or call 302.737.6205.
- Newark Bike Map
- Newark Bicycle Plan (approved 2/24/14 by Newark City Council) and Appendix with public outreach .
- Agendas and minutes
Events and Meetings
Volunteers are appreciated for all events and committee work. Meetings are held monthly at WILMAPCO on the 3rd Thursday, 4 p.m., click here for directions. Send us an email to be added to the committee email list.
Bicycle Safety Checkpoints: Event promotes safe bicycling through bike safety check, free bike lights and other information. Cosponsored by DelDOT, Newark Bike Project and Newark Bicycle Committee. Check back for Spring dates. Fall Checkpoints were held:
- Wednesday, September 4, 9 a.m. – noon, Delaware Ave. at the Green
- Monday, September 9, 1 -4 p.m., North College Ave. at Ray Street
- Thursday, September 19, 9 a.m. – noon, underpass to Rodney dorms
- Tuesday, September 24, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Delaware Ave. at the Green
Newark Community Day: Visit the Newark Bicycle Committee at Newark Community Day, September 2014.
2013 Bike-to-Work Day Celebration in Newark: This years event was held Tuesday, May 14, followed by the UD Employee Benefits Fair. Bike-to-Work event speakers include UD President Patrick Harker and Secretary of Transportation Shailen Bhatt. Special thanks to our event partners: the University of Delaware and City of Newark; event supporters: WILMAPCO and DelDOT; and event sponsors: Wooden Wheels, The Ski Bum, Fusion Fitness, Home Grown, Bings Bakery, Delaware Running Co., Newark Natural Foods and Bike Line! Read about the 2013 event at www.udel.edu/udaily/2013/may/bike-work-051613.html
- Report a problem such as a traffic signal malfunction, pothole, or debris in the bike lane: along city streets or on state roads
- Get–or fix–a bike, or help others do so. The Newark Bike Project offers “learn to do-it-yourself” repair facilities, bicycle recycling, and educational programs for the Newark, Delaware, community. www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Download a bicycle map. www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike/biking_in_delaware/maps.shtml
- Learn about bicycle commuting and tax benefits, sign up for the Emergency Ride Home program or find a Bicycle Buddy commuting partner. www.ridesharedelaware.org/bike_walk
- Try biking and transit. All DART buses have bike racks and many Park and Rides have secure bike lockers. dartfirststate.com/information/getting_there/bike
- Request a bike map, report a road problem or learn about Delaware bicycling laws. www.deldot.gov/information/community_programs_and_services/bike
- Get out and ride. Area clubs have rides throughout the year, including ones for beginners. www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org and http://www.trailspinners.org.
- Bicycle Friendly Community Program: 2003 Application, 2010 Application, 2013 Feedback
- Delaware Avenue striping proposal
- 2011 Bike-to-Work Day Proclamation
- Newark Bicycle Plan, 2002
- Newark Interim Bicycle Plan, 1996
- Newark Bicycle Plan, 1973
- Delaware Complete Streets Policy, 2010
Local Bicycling Links
- Newark Bike Project www.newarkbikeproject.org
- Bike Delaware www.bikede.org
- White Clay Bicycle Club www.whiteclaybicycleclub.org
- Delaware Bicycle Council www.bike.deldot.gov (302) 760-BIKE
- Delaware Greenways www.delawaregreenways.org
- Delaware Trailspinners www.trailspinners.org
- WILMAPCO www.wilmapco.org
- DART First State www.dartfirststate.com
- University of Delaware Public Safety Bicycle Registration www.udel.edu/PublicSafety/polserv_propertybike.html
- Delaware Bikes blog delbikes.blogspot.com