May is National Bike Month!
Get Out and Ride
National Bike to Work Week 2018 will be held on May 14-18. Bike to Work Day is May 18! More details will be posted here as they become available.
Whether you are a beginning cyclist or a seasoned rider, plenty of events are scheduled for 2018.
- April 28 –Cycle for Cecil: Event at the Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area, benefits the Cecil Land Trust. Rides start at 8:00 a.m., cecillandtrust.org
- May 3 – Walkable Bikable Delaware: An event to bring together elected leaders, engineers, public health professionals, agency staff and citizens from all over Delaware. bikede.org/summit
- May 4—First Friday Ride: Casual, social ride through downtown Newark, bikenewark.org/firstfridayrides
- May 13–Mother’s Day Ride: 1:00 -4:00 p.m., Ride begins at Urban Bike Project, 1500 North Walnut Street, Wilmington, DE 19801, We will have around 20 riders, and will proceed at a leisurely pace. This is an on road route, but low stress roads were chosen, and traffic in the City on a Sunday is relatively low. There will be a ride leader, a sweep, and volunteers to assist. The ride leader will make every effort to keep the group together through intersections, but riders are responsible for following all traffic signals. The group will wait for you to catch up if we get separated at a red light. Reminder, helmets are required!
- May 7-11 – Bike to School Week: Join the Downes Elementary School community in celebration of Bike to School Week by encouraging your children to bike to and from school. Events feature Bike Trains led by Newark officials, parents, and teachers and opportunities to learn about planned improvements. bikenewark.org/events/b2sw
- May 14-18– Bike-to-Work Week, bikeleague.org/bikemonth
- May 16– National Ride of Silence: Visit rideofsilence.org to learn about the event which honors those who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. In Wilmington, the ride will depart from Porky Oliver’s Golf Club. More details are available at http://whiteclaybicycleclub.org/events/ride-of-silence/.
- May 18 – Bike to Work Day in Wilmington: Join other commuters and show your support for bicycling in Wilmington. 7:45 a.m. rides start / 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. reception. Join one of five guided rides into the city, terminating at H.B. DuPont Plaza for the Bike to Work Reception. Visit this link to see the routes. All registered participants will receive free refreshments and a free t-shirt PLUS a complementary drink ticket to be redeemed at the Wilmington Grand Prix Monkey Hill Time Trial in Brandywine Park after work. We will also be raffling off two Gore Bike Jackets to ride participants. Email email@example.com for more information. Reminder, Helmets are required
- May 18-20 – Wilmington Grand Prix: Competitive pro cyclist races, a bicycle parade, and a family-friendly ride escorted by Governor John Carney, visit wilmgrandprix.com.
- May 18– Bike to Work Day in Newark: Join other commuters and show your support for bicycling in Newark, from 7:30-9 a.m., at Mentors’ Circle (University of Delaware at South College/Kent Way), bikenewark.org/events/b2wd/
- June 2 – Mayor’s Fun Ride, Newark DE: The Mayor’s Fun Ride offers two courses to encourage cyclists of all ages to participate and be active. Held at Newark Shopping Center, the event will feature educational and safety information, raffles, prizes and children’s activities. The fee for the event is $5 for an adult, while children (17 & under) are free. https://www.newarkde.gov/
- Maryland cycling events throughout the month are listed at ohbike.org/events
- New Castle County and Cecil County cycling events throughout the month are listed at whiteclaybicycleclub.org and www.trailspinners.org.
Other Bicycling Info
- Urban Bike Project of Wilmington will hold classes on bicycle commuting and mechanics. Learn more at www.urbanbikeproject.com.
- Fix your bike or take a class at Newark Bike Project, visit www.newarkbikeproject.org.
- Register with Rideshare Delaware to be matched with a bicycle commuting partner at www.ridesharedelaware.org/.
- Join Bike Delaware, a bicycling advocacy group, www.bikede.org.
- Take your bike on the bus. All Cecil County and DART fixed route buses are equipped with bike racks. Learn more at www.dartfirststate.com/information/getting_there/bike.
Learn even more from the League of American Bicyclists at www.bikeleague.org/.