May is National Bike Month!
Get Out and Ride
National Bike to Work Week 2019 will be held on May 13-19. Bike to Work Day is May 17! More details will be posted here as they become available.
Whether you are a beginning cyclist or a seasoned rider, plenty of events are scheduled!
- April 27 –Cycle for Cecil: Event at the Fair Hill Natural Resources Management Area, benefits the Cecil Land Trust. Rides start at 8-9:30 a.m., cecillandtrust.org
- May 1 – Jack A. Markell Trail Overview and Social Hour: Delaware APA is hosting a presentation about the trail followed by a social hour. DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington Riverfront, 3:45 p.m. Register at form.jotform.com/90694377795174
- May 2 – Walkable Bikable Delaware: An event to bring together elected leaders, engineers, public health professionals, agency staff and citizens from all over Delaware. bikede.org/summit
- May 3—First Friday Ride: Casual, social ride through downtown Newark, bikenewark.org/firstfridayrides
- May 6-10 – Bike to School Week: Join the Downes Elementary School community in celebration of Bike to School Week by encouraging your children to bike to and from school. Events feature Bike Trains led by Newark officials, parents, and teachers and opportunities to learn about planned improvements. bikenewark.org/events/b2sw
- May 13-19– Bike-to-Work Week, bikeleague.org/bikemonth
- May 15– National Ride of Silence: Visit rideofsilence.org to learn about the event which honors those who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. In Wilmington, the ride will meet at 6:45 p.m., UD Goodstay campus, 2700 Pennsylvania Ave, Wilmington, DE 19806. More details are available at whiteclaybicycleclub.org/events/ride-of-silence.
- May 17 – Bike to Work Day in Wilmington: Join other commuters and show your support for bicycling in Wilmington. 7:45 a.m. rides start / 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. reception. Join one of five guided rides into the city, terminating at H.B. DuPont Plaza for the Bike to Work Reception. Helmets are required www.wilmingtonde.gov/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/5469/499
- May 17-19 – Wilmington Grand Prix: Competitive pro cyclist races, a bicycle parade, and a family-friendly ride escorted by Governor John Carney, visit wilmgrandprix.com.
- May 17– Bike to Work Day in Newark: Join other commuters and show your support for bicycling in Newark, from 7:45-9 a.m., at Mentors’ Circle (University of Delaware at South College/Kent Way), bikenewark.org/events/b2wd/
- Maryland cycling events throughout the month are listed at ohbike.org/events
- New Castle County and Cecil County cycling events throughout the month are listed at whiteclaybicycleclub.org and www.trailspinners.org.
Other Bicycling Info
- Urban Bike Project of Wilmington offers refurbished bikes, assisted repairs, and classes. Learn more at www.urbanbikeproject.com.
- Newark Bike Project offers refurbished bikes, assisted repairs, and classes. Vsit www.newarkbikeproject.org.
- Register with Rideshare Delaware to be matched with a bicycle commuting partner at www.ridesharedelaware.org/.
- Join Bike Delaware, a bicycling advocacy group, www.bikede.org.
- Take your bike on the bus. All Cecil County and DART fixed route buses are equipped with bike racks. Learn more at www.dartfirststate.com/information/getting_there/bike.
Learn even more from the League of American Bicyclists at www.bikeleague.org/.