Check out this short video about Connecting with the Ardens: A Transportation Plan
The plan will make efforts to integrate with other community plans and initiatives, such as the villages’ foundational plans, Arden’s Water Quality Master Plan, the Ardentown Paths Plan, and the Wilmington Montessori Safe Routes to School Plan.
We also will take into account work WILMAPCO was involved with in the Ardens more than two decades ago. Points of consensus regarding traffic calming reached between civic leaders and stakeholders, including the Claymont Fire Department, include:
- No vertical (on road) features
- Use horizonal features instead
- Features will comply with DelDOT standards
- Use low-level landscaping
- Features will be traversable by emergency vehicles and buses
Though the Harvey Road Traffic Calming Consensus Plan made a number of good recommendations and some improvements made, there was a lack of follow through with implementation as the years progressed. We plan to correct this by joining the Inter-Ardens Transportation Working Group, together with DelDOT, to advance the new Transportation Plan’s recommendations.
In addition, WILMAPCO conducted a Walkable Community Workshop (WCW) in the Ardens on August 3, 2022. Its findings will help inform Connecting with the Ardens: A Transportation Plan. The WCW Report will be available shortly.
Steering Committee Meeting Materials
Goals and Objectives
Development of Connecting with the Ardens: A Transportation Plan will be a community-driven process that will:
- Set a vision for transportation safety and accessibility
- Foster public participation to inform the plan with community feedback, including feedback from community youth
- Inventory and understand existing conditions and assets upon which to build
- Highlight best practices for appropriate, context-sensitive traffic calming solutions, such as roundabouts, streetscaping, and other solutions for all travelers
- Develop a listing of recommended project alternatives that conform with historical context, community ideals, and existing community plans
- Identify preferred alternatives after weighing technical analyses and public feedback
- Prioritize projects to assist the villages in implementation of improvements
- Identify strategies and physical improvements for plan implementation by each municipality, DelDOT, and other relevant parties
- Determine potential partners, resources, and revenue sources to expedite plan implementation
The plan will have a special focus on traffic calming and safe accessibility for non-motorized transportation on Harvey Road, Veale Road, Marsh Road, and Chestnut Street. The plan will also explore accommodating travel needs for events, town government and community group meetings, access to playground facilities, fostering health and recreation, and reducing carbon footprints.
Transportation improvements for pedestrians, bicyclists, physically impaired persons, and transit riders will be explored. Traffic modeling and animations will be developed to assist with weighing the benefits of the alternatives to all forms of travel and with communicating these impacts with the public.
The plan will make efforts to integrate with other community plans and initiatives, such as the villages’ foundational plans, Arden’s Water Quality Master Plan, the Ardentown Paths Plan, and the Wilmington Montessori Safe Routes to School Plan. WILMAPCO conducted a Walkable Community Workshop (WCW) in the Ardens on August 3, 2022. Its findings will help inform Connecting with the Ardens: A Transportation Plan. Additionally, the plan will examine how best to expand accessibility for residents with disabilities and enhance residents’ ability to age in place. The plan could continue the conversation from the Ardentown Paths Plan about which of the community’s natural walking paths may require accessibility enhancements.
The plan will also explore the improvement and expansion of bus service for the Ardens, especially connections to the new Claymont Transportation Center. In addition to public transit, a large volume of school buses stop in or pass through the community. Along with traffic calming, finding good solutions for school bus stops and routes for children’s safety is desired.
The planning process began in summer 2022 and is expected to be completed in summer 2023.
Existing Conditions and Planned Transportation Projects Report
The Connecting with the Ardens: A Transportation Plan Task 1 Report outlines existing conditions and planned transportation projects in the study area. This report will help inform the development of Connecting with the Ardens: A Transportation Plan.
Additional Reference Materials
Please check back for project updates and sign up for project updates using the form below!
If you have any questions about WILMAPCO’s involvement in the Ardens Transportation Plan, please contact Bill Swiatek at 302-737-6205 or email@example.com.